Newspaper, cut into strips
Wall paper paste or white glue slightly thinned
Containers for water and paste
½ egg carton preferably made of paper or cardboard
4 – 6 oz paper cup
Bond or construction paper
Green acrylic or poster paint or any color you choose for your dragon
Glitter, buttons, tissue paper, wiggle eyes, foil, etc
- Cover your work space with newspaper. Cut egg carton in half and tape it shut. Tape the paper cup to one end of the carton. (This will be the head of the dragon.) Make a long tube with the construction paper and tape it to the other end of the carton. (This will be the tail of the dragon.)
- Cut newspaper into strips.
- Read the directions on the label for using wallpaper paste. Mix wallpaper paste with water and stir. Pour into container.
- Dip strips into paste mixture. Allow excess paste to drip off into container. Apply to the dragon mock-up. Apply two or three layers. Allow to dry. Add more layers if needed and apply them when the first three layers are dry. Dry thoroughly.
- Paint the dragon with acrylic or poster paint. Allow the paint to dry.
- Decorated the papier-mache dragon with a variety of embellishments. Use your imagination!