Thin paper like rice paper or bond paper
Any kind of crayons including Wax crayons
Textured surfaces: chain link fences, tombstones, bricks, sidewalks, gratings, certain fabrics
- Find an interesting raised surface to rub. For the first rubbing, select a surface and rub with either the graphite or one of the wax crayons.
- For the second rubbing, rub with a different wax crayon on another surface or on the same surface. The shift the paper up or down or sideways, rubbing the surface with another color or the graphite.
- For the third rubbing, select two or three colors and two or three surfaces to rub. Use only one sheet of paper for this. Select a color and rub the first surface with it. Rub the second surface with a second crayon. Rub the third surface with a third color or the graphite.
- Do you notice a pattern created with the different colors and surfaces? Insert your best rubbing in a poster frame and hang on the wall of your bedroom.
- Alternative Project: Rubbings also make great greeting or note cards. Cut a blank piece of paper in half. Cut the rubbing and paste it to the front of the folded paper. Cut the rubbing smaller still and you can make gift tags the same way as the greeting card.
For more ideas on rubbings:
All-Around-the-House Art and Craft Book by Patricia Z. Wirtenberg
Arts and Crafts Activities Desk Book by Joyce Novis Laskin.